Wives of Men in Ministry Resources
Role of a Pastor’s Wife/Ministry Issues
- J.R. Briggs. Fail: Finding Hope and Grace in the Midst of Ministry Failure. Downers Grove: IVP, 2014.
- Jill Briscoe. Renewal on the Run: Embracing the Privileges and Expectations of a Ministry Wife. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2005.
- Brian Croft. The Pastor’s Family: Shepherding Your Family through the Challenges of Pastoral Ministry. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2013.
- Jeana Floyd. 10 Things Every Minister’s Wife Needs to Know. Green Forest: New Leaf Publishing Group, 2010.
- Gloria Furman. The Pastor’s Wife: Strengthened by Grace for a Life of Love. Wheaton: Crossway, 2015.
- Lisa McCay. You Can Still Wear Cute Shoes: And Other Great Advice from an Unlikely Preacher’s Wife. Colorado Springs: David C. Cook. 2010.
- Shona and David Murray. Refresh: Embracing a Grace-Paced Life in a World of Endless Demands. Wheaton: Crossway, 2017.
- Phil A. Newton. The Mentoring Church: How Pastors and Congregations Cultivate Leaders. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2017.
- David C. Olsen and Nancy G. Devor. Saying No to Say Yes: Everyday Boundaries and Pastoral Excellence. New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Barnabas Piper. The Pastor’s Kid: Finding Your Own Faith and Identity. Colorado Springs: David C. Cook, 2014.
- Holly Tucker. Serving God in the Fish Bowl: a 30-Day Devotional for Pastor’s Kids. Mustang: Tate Publishing, 2016.
- Lori Wilhite and Brandi Wilson. Leading and Loving It: Encouragement for Pastors’ Wives and Women in Leadership. Nashville: FaithWords, 2013.
- Andy Crouch, The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2017.
- Linda Dillow and Dr. Juli Slattery. Passion Pursuit: What Kind of Love Are You Making? Chicago: Moody, 2013.
- Linda Dillow. What’s It Like to be Married to Me?: And Other Dangerous Questions. Colorado Springs: David C. Cook, 2011.
- Gloria Furman. Missional Motherhood: The Everyday Ministry of Motherhood in the Grand Plan of God. Wheaton: Crossway, 2016.
- Timothy Keller. The Meaning of Marriage: Facing Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God. New York: Penguin Books, 2013.
- Dr. Jennifer Konzen, The Art of Intimate Marriage. San Diego, CA: Konzen Publishing, 2016.
- Robert and Debbie Morris. The Blessed Marriage. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2009.
- Stormie Omartin. Praying Through the Deeper Issues of Marriage. Eugene: Harvest House, 2007
- Courtney Reissig, Glory in the Ordinary: Why Your Work in the Home Matters to God. Wheaton: Crossway, 2017.
- Douglas E. Rosenau. A Celebration of Sex: A Guide to Enjoying God’s Gift of Sexual Intimacy. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2002.
- Douglas Rosenau and Deborah Neel. Total Intimacy: A Guide to Loving by Color. Atlanta: Sexual Wholeness Resources, 2014.
- Todd A Wilson, Mere Sexuality: Rediscovering the Christian Vision of Sexuality. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2017.
- Aimee Byrd. No Little Women: Equipping All Women in the Household of God. Phillipsburg: P&R Publishing, 2016.
- Muriel Cook and Shelly Volkhardt. Kitchen Table Counseling: A Practical and Biblical Guide for Women Helping Others. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2006.
- Sue G. Edwards and Kelley M. Matthews, Leading Women Who Wound: Strategies for an Effective Ministry. Chicago: Moody, 2009.
- Sue Edwards and Barbara Neumann, Organic Mentoring: A Mentor’s Guide to Relationships with the Next Generation. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2014.
- Gloria Furman. Word-Filled Women’s Ministry: Loving and Serving the Church (The Gospel Coalition). Wheaton: Crossway, 2015.
- Beverly Hislop. Shepherding Women in Pain: Real Women, Real Issues, and What You Need to Know to Truly Help. Chicago: Moody, 2010.
- Jackie Roese. She Can Teach: Empowering Women to Teach the Scriptures Effectively. Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 2013.
- Halee Gray Scott. Dare Mighty Things: Mapping the Challenges of Leadership for Christian Women. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2014.
- Jen Wilkin. Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds. Wheaton: Crossway, 2014.
- Jennie Allen. Anything: The Prayer that Unlocked My God and My Soul. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2015.
- Jennie Allen. Restless: Because You Were Made for More. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2014.
- Anderson, Hannah. Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul. Chicago: Moody, 2016.
- Anderson, Hannah. Made for More: An Invitation to Live in God’s Image. Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2014.
- Christine Caine. Unashamed: Drop the Baggage, Pick Up Your Freedom, Fulfill Your Destiny. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2016.
- Mindy Caliguire. Spiritual Friendship (Soulcare Resources). Downers Grove:IVP, 2007.
- Bruce Demarest. Seasons of the Soul: Stages of Spiritual Development. Downers Grove: IVP, 2009.
- Bev DeSalvo. Return to Joy: Finding Healing in the Arms of Your Savior. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2016.
- Linda Dillow. Calm My Anxious Heart: A Woman’s Guide to Finding Contentment. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2007.
- Linda Dillow and Dr. Juli Slattery. Surprised by the Healer: Embracing Hope for Your Broken Story. Chicago: Moody, 2016.
- Linda Dillow. Trusting God with My What Ifs and Whys. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2014.
- Jada Edwards. The Captive Mind: Evicting Old Thinking to Experience New Life. Dallas: Saint Paul Press, 2016.
- Lois Evans. Seasons of a Woman’s Life. Chicago: Moody, 2013.
- Tony Evans, Chrystal Evans Hurst. Kingdom Woman: Embracing Your Purpose, Power, and Possibilities. Colorado Springs: Focus on the Family, 2013.
- Emily P. Freeman. Simply Tuesday: Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World. Grand Rapids: Revell, 2015.
- Elyse M. Fitzpatrick. Good News for Weary Women: Escaping the Bondage of To-Do Lists, Steps, and Bad Advice. Carol Stream: Tyndale, 2014.
- Michael Horton. Ordinary: Sustainable Faith in a Radical, Restless World. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2014.
- Chrystal Evans Hurst, She’s Still There: Rescuing the Girl in You. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2017.
- Betsy Childs Howard. Seasons of Waiting: Walking by Faith When Dreams Are Delayed. Wheaton, Crossway, 2016.
- Barry D. Jones, Dwell: Life with God for the World. Downers Grove: IVP Books, 2014.
- Adam S. McHugh. The Listening Life: Embracing Attentiveness in a World of Distraction. Downers Grove: IVP, 2015.
- Trilla J. Newbell, Fear and Faith: Finding the Peace Your Heart Craves. Chicago: Moody, 2015.
- Trillia J. Newbell. Enjoy: Finding the Freedom to Delight Daily in God’s Good Gifts. New York: Multnomah, 2016.
- Priscilla Shirer. Fervent: A Woman’s Battle Plan to Serious, Specific, and Strategic Prayer. Nashville: B&H Publishing, 2015.
- Lysa TerKeurst. Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely. Nashville: Nelson Books, 2016.
- Tish Harrison Warren. Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life. Downers Grove: IVP Books, 2016.
- Jen Wilkin. None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different from Us (and Why That’s a Good Thing). Wheaton: Crossway, 2016.
- Ann Voskamp. The Broken Way: A Daring Path into the Abundant Life. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2016.
- Philip Yancey. Disappointment with God. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1997.
Collection for Bible Studies by Sue Edwards (Professor at DTS):
- Psalms: Discovering Authentic Worship
- Proverbs: Discovering Ancient Wisdom for a Postmodern World Volume 1
- Proverbs: Discovering Ancient Wisdom for a Postmodern World Volume 2
- Ecclesiastes: Discovering Meaning in a Meaningless World
- Daniel: Discovering the Courage to Stand for Your Faith
- Luke: Discovering Healing in Jesus’ Words to Women
- Galatians: Discovering Freedom in Christ through Daily Practice
- Ephesians: Discovering Your Identity and Purpose in Christ
- Philippians: Discovering Joy through Relationship
- 1 Peter: Discovering Encouragement in Troubling Times
- Revelation: Discovering Life for Today and Eternity
Finance and Money Saving Websites
Clergy Finances and Taxes
BLESSING RANCH | https://www.blessingranch.org/frequently-asked-questions.cfm
Blessing Ranch is a not-for-profit Christian ministry that exists to minister to ministers and other Christian leaders in need of restoration and renewal. The Ranch has emerged as a leader in helping pastors and other Christian leaders address personal and professional issues to renew and restore their lives, families, and ministries. The heart of the Ranch’s ministry is caring for pastors.
BROOM TREE MINISTRIES | http://broomtreeministries.org/
Broom Tree Ministries provides 5-day Spiritual Retreats for full time Christian pastors and spouses. Jesus said; “Come away with me to a quiet place”. Pastors, you are invited to attend a 5-day spiritual retreat available for full time Christian pastors and their spouses. Retreat agenda is designed to allow participants to spend large blocks of time alone with God in prayer, rest, Bible study, reading, hiking and lots of time with their spouse. Pastors set their own daily schedule or can use the self-directed guide to enhance the retreat experience. Materials are provided for our guest’s use such as, books, video and audio tapes. This is a gift of time to drink from the “Living Water”.
THE COTTAGE ON CORONADO ISLAND | www.coronadocottage.org
Enjoy the beautiful seascape of Coronado Island and San Diego Bay -a year round resort area. Hours of unscheduled time are available to visit the town with its many shops, art galleries and restaurants, or take the ferry across the bay to visit Seaport Village, Sea World, Balboa Park and other world renowned attractions. The cottage is run by a couple who both have degrees in counseling. They have some specific weeks for women and for those working through restoration after a forced ministry termination.
DEER RIDGE MINISTRIES | www.drmretreats.org
Deer Ridge Ministries has had the pleasure of hosting retreats in Northern Illinois for several years. God willing, we hope to soon be moving our retreat site to a lovely country lodge tucked away on 43 acres of wooded grounds. The new location is just outside of historical Dixon, Illinois and provides guests with many opportunities to explore some of God’s woodland creations.
FAIRHAVEN RETREAT CENTER | www.fairhavenministries.net
Pastors and Missionaries often need an affordable place away from the demands of their ministry where they can rest and relax. The beautiful facilities and serenity of our natural surroundings, combined with the absence of telephones, televisions or schedules makes Fairhaven the ideal place for a get-away. Individuals, couples and families can all enjoy a personal retreat at Fairhaven.
LAMB’S TALE MINISTRIES| www.lambstale.org
The owners of The Haven River Inn in Comfort, TX (30 minutes from Fredericksburg!) offer a 2 free nights at the bed and breakfast, which is positioned in the beautiful country right on the Guadalupe River. You can take advantage of this offer once a year and additional nights are available at a reduced ministry rate. We are happy to treat you to a quiet place and time to catch your breath!
MARBLE CHRISTIAN COUNSELING | www.marbleretreat.org
Since 1974, this peaceful refuge in the Rockies has been set aside for solace. Marble Retreat is an interdenominational Christian counseling provider serving both Christian ministers and all believers who are burdened and troubled. We offer a blend of spiritual and emotional approaches to touch the whole person. Our mission: Helping to bring healing, hope and restoration to those in vocational Christian ministry and the Church at large through Christ-centered brief intensive counseling.
MOUNTAIN LEARNING CENTER | www.pastor-care.com
The MLC is located in June Lake, California, beneath the awe-inspiring Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. In the context of an alpine, mountainous retreat environment (7600 feet in elevation), Christ-centered and biblically relevant principles of relationships with God, self, and others are embraced and developed through the vehicle of counseling from a spiritual formation perspective.
QUIETWATERS | http://www.qwaters.org/
QuietWaters Ministries, southeast of Denver, CO, provides retreats for Christian leaders. They particularly reach those recovering from burnout and/or going through personal and professional crises, providing spiritual mentors and counselors to offer coaching, counseling, spiritual formation intensives as well as sabbatical kickoffs.
Counseling and Treatment Centers
- Barnabas Ministries | www.barnabasmin.org
- Charis Foundation | www.charisfoundation.com
- Clergy Recovery | http://www.clergyrecovery.com/
- Stone Gate Resources | www.stonegateresources.org
Residential TreatmenT & Christian Hospitals
This is a list of select resources provided by Hendricks Center staff and conference presenters. This list does not represent an official recommendation on behalf of DTS. Rather, it serves to highlight the reality of the specific issues and seeks to provide possible ministries with which area churches might partner. DTS encourages all attendees to thoroughly read and evaluate any resources that may be passed on in a training or counseling capacity.